Monday, December 25, 2017

Why I Hate Touch Screens (aka, What is that smell?)

Same situation, two cars:

2002 Civic (no bells & whistles): "Ew, what's that smell? Oh right, I'm approaching Coalinga. Feedlot." Without taking my eyes off the road, I reach over and hit the recirculate button. I know which on it is because there are only four buttons and you can feel a bump where each one is so I can just skip the one all the way on the right and hit the one next to it.

Total time: < 1 second

2016 Super-duper-does-everything-for-you Acura: "Ew, what's that smell? Oh right, I'm approaching Coalinga. Feedlot. Crap, how do I turn on recirculation?" Look at the touch screen. Look at the road. Look at the touch screen. Find the icon on the bottom row that has the car with an arrow going through it. Accidentally hit the one next to it (vents open on the bottom, top, or both). Look at the road. Wait for it to go back to the previous menu. Hit the correct icon. Look at the road. Figure out which of the two choices is recirculate. Hit that icon.

Total time: ~30 seconds.

My car smelled like cow poop for about half an hour.

Anyhow... the good news about failing to get started at a reasonable hour is that the Grapevine is lovely during a sunset, don't you agree?


------------
It's Holidailies time! Now go read some other blogs! 

No comments: