Monday, December 13, 2021

Does the Date Count If It Was in the Freezer?

Air Fryer!

I tried out my new air fryer today (a Christmas gift from my mom) with some breaded tofu. I didn't have to worry about burning the house down and it was a lot less messy than frying in oil, so that was good. Plus, now I don't have to strain a bunch of oil back into a container after it cools.

It wasn't quite as good as oil fried, but I think that's because I didn't have any oil to spray on it before I cooked it. It's not a fair comparison. I'm sure when I get everything worked out it will taste just as good and be a lot easier.

The tofu I was using was almost certainly past its use-by date, but it was sitting in the freezer part of that time. (Freezing and thawing tofu changes the texture, which you want for some recipes like this one.)

In any case, I look forward to experimenting with the new air fryer.

breaded tofu over rice

Obligatory Pet Picture

elderly grey cat drinking water out of a white bird bowl

There's nothing quite as refreshing as a leisurely drink of water from the bird's bowl while someone is waiting for you to finish so she can put the bowl into the bird's cage.



2 comments:

KarenD said...

I've enjoyed my air fryer so much that it bumped the Instant Pot off the counter (I do still use the IP, too, but not as much now that I've got the air fryer).

Jenipurr said...

The date totally doesn't count if it's in the freezer! I've used that reasoning many times (although once it gets freezer burned, there's no bringing it back).