Sunday, December 17, 2023

Broken

Kitten Update

Nothing.

BookBub Ad Update

$5.63 spent, 2,352 impressions, 0 clicks. I think I'll switch the ad image tomorrow just to see if I can get anything to work with CPM ads. Then I may change to CPC or... just stop wasting money?

Broken

I have a bunch of things that aren't really broken, but they also don't work like they should.

For a while, every six months or so my refrigerator would freeze everything. Just completely frozen solid. And the only way to make it stop was to unplug it for 24 hours. After that, it would go back to normal, except for all the veggies that didn't handle the freeze-thaw cycle. It was annoying, but I never called a repair person because I'm 99% sure they wouldn't be able to find something that happened every six months.

It hasn't done that in the last few years, which is a little weird (though no more weird than it doing that in the first place.) But a few months ago, it stopped freezing the stuff in the freezer section. It's cold, but definitely not frozen. I thought I was just catching it during the self-defrosting thaw cycles, but no. It doesn't freeze things anymore. Which is actually less annoying than the old behavior.

And my oven doesn't measure the interior temperature accurately. I thought I was just a terrible baker, but it turns out when I measured it that it was about 100 degrees lower than it should be. It explained a lot of my problems over the last five or more years.

But... I only cook for myself, and it's far easier to cook things in my air fryer. And I don't really keep frozen food (at least not in the winter), so if I buy four veggie burgers and they defrost over the next few days until I eat them, eh, it's fine.

Anyhow, someday I'll leave this house and whoever is trying to get it ready for the next person will wonder why I lived with a bunch of messed up appliances.

It's still better than having to deal with sales and repair people.

Pet Picture of the Day

Here's a glow up for you: The kitten in the front is the same one from yesterday's tragic kitten photo. It's amazing what a few weeks will do!



Accomplishments of the Day

  • Finished the dragon episode. I'll give it a quick polish tomorrow and upload it.
  • Added about 1500 words to the short story for my Patreon supporters. I'll finish it up tomorrow. Is it working? I don't know. But that's how it always goes.
  • Remembered Holidailies for the 17th day in a row! (I'm really enjoying all the other blogs, so if you are writing blog entries, good job!)
  • Yesterday's step count: 15,072. Today's will be higher.

4 comments:

KarenD said...

The oven that came with my condo is the original from the 1970s, and it too doesn't bring itself to the temperature it's set to. At first when things were taking way longer to bake than they should, I thought maybe it was the altitude (not super high, but much more than I'd lived at previously) but then we bought a standalone oven thermometer and learned otherwise. Now we just set it to around 25 degrees hotter than we want it. I plan to leave this oven for the next owners to deal with if it lasts that long and there's no reason to think it won't.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I may try replacing the oven's thermostat (it's a $60 part), but if that doesn't work...

Sherck said...

Our oven works fine, but it's a gas range and the starter for the front right burner doesn't work, so you have to turn on the back right burner to get the front one to light. And of course that's the most-used burner.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

What I'm getting from the comments on this post is that maybe ignoring the problem *is* the adult way to handle it.