Saturday, December 9, 2023

Bookstagram

Kitten Update

We are in the middle of a kitten shortage. It is still very quiet here.

Bookstagram

Of all the social media sites I've tried, Instagram is at the top of the list of the ones I don't understand. Maybe it's because I'm such a terrible photographer, but the whole image-based posts don't do it for me. I'd be fine with text based posts everywhere, especially if it meant people wouldn't just post the same memes all over the place. No matter how funny something is, I'd still rather read something original.

But Instagram also has book reviewers, and I'd like to head in that direction, both to get my books in front of a different audience and also to find some new books. Amazon's recommendations used to be helpful, but that ended years ago. These days I find new authors by stumbling over them in one way or another, and the process is very inefficient.

Anyhow, my friend L compiled a list of reviewers on Instagram who look at SF/F books. It's time to check them out.

(TikTok also has book reviews, but I can't handle TikTok long enough to tell it what sorts of accounts I'd like to follow. It's like monkeys flinging shit at you. I hate videos that autoplay.)

Pet Picture of the Day

This is Sabrett's brother, Oscar Mayer — another gorgeous foster kitten who has since been adopted.



Accomplishments of the Day

  • Went to a write-in at my favorite coffee shop and it was very chilly, but nice.
  • 344 words on the WIP + I worked out what will happen in the next dragon serial episode
  • Listened to more audiobooks
  • Yesterday's total step count: 10,989. Today is probably going to be a bit less. Tomorrow I'll get back into the regular routine.

2 comments:

Sherck said...

We almost had a cat shortage in our house today--a door was left ajar and he saw himself out. We had a frantic few minutes where we didn't know if he was in or out and we were looking for him, but it turned out he was more than ready to come back in when we went to look for him outside.

I don't have any experience with Instagram book blogging or vlogging or what have you, but I hope it goes well for you! For what it's worth, I find myself finding books through:
1) friends on Goodreads with similar tastes
2) recommendations from groups I'm in on Facebook or Discord
3) the occasional review or list that's shared to one of the above.

But I'm Gen X, I don't quite get Instagram either (it's just the place where my wife shares funny videos with me).

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

It is funny how Gen X as a whole stares at Instagram in bafflement, isn't it?