Sunday, February 4, 2024

Day 4: The Jungle Toupee

Welcome back to day 4 of Thingadailies. Want to play along? The full video is here.

Today's starting point: 3:02

Ending point: 4:09

When we finished yesterday, the buffalo had some grass on his face. Today, we give him a jungle toupee. There was a lot of "hm, that's probably good enough" happening on my part today. Will it be obvious in the final image at the end of the month? (Spoiler: Yes, yes it will.)

Ready?

Step 1: Bring in the jungle

The image is then flipped horizontally and placed over the buffalo's forehead.

Step 2: Warp the jungle

This was the first in the long line of "sure, that's fine" moments. Warp the image so it sort of matches the horns. Again, I'm not sure if this is training issue or if GIMP doesn't have the same thing, but I couldn't find a tool that warped the jungle layer like it warped in the video. So I created a path around it and warped that. It was close.


Did I neglect to take a screenshot, or was it so close to the previous one that I can't tell the difference? Either is possible.

And really, does it matter? Because the next thing you do is mask it so it disappears.

Step 3: Unmask the forehead

Not gonna lie here. There was a lot of fiddling with brushes in the video, which means that's probably important, and I couldn't be bothered. Besides, I don't have a bunch of brushes, so I just went with the standard "Cell 02", which is sort of speckled. Sure, that's fine.

I'll let you decide. This is what I ended up with at the end of the day:


Here is a screenshot from the video for comparison:


I think it's pretty close. Also, I think I darkened my buffalo too much, but that's a problem for another day.

Tip of the day:

You can get some nice blended edges by using different shades of gray when painting in the layer mask.


2 comments:

Karen said...

So cool! Photoshop will never not amaze me. Is the top of the background image offset or mirrored from the tutorial? Trying to figure out why it looks different. (I know, so nitpicky!)

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I think you're right. I'll flip mine tomorrow so I don't have to worry about some weirdness down the road.