Monday, February 12, 2024

Day 12: Actually, the Bridge Goes Over There

Welcome to day 12 of Thingadailies. Want to play along? The full video is here.

Today's starting point: 13:53

Ending point: 14:35

Gotta be honest with you. Most of today was spent modifying the things I did yesterday. But this is how learning happens!

Here's where we were yesterday:


Step 1: Fix the bridge on the left side

So when I went to make sure the cliff and the bridge weren't occupying the same space, I realized I'd anchored the bridge to the wrong bit of rock on the left side. I could have left it like that, but I decided to fix it for the sake of completeness. (Also, I have to turn in my novel to my critique group tonight, so I am procrastinating.)

I had to warp the thing again and fix all the highlighting and shadows and everything else.

Step 2: Fix the bridge on the right side

Yeah, only after I'd finished messing around with everything did I realize I'd anchored the right side of the bridge to the gap in the rocks. Not structurally stable. So I redid everything yet again.

Step 3: Make the bridge post shadows point in sort of the same direction as the shadow of the tree trunk.

I mean... There probably shouldn't be a 60-degree difference between shadows there. So I redid those. And it's still not perfect, but I'm not sure it's visible anyhow.

And here we are:


Tomorrow we add more mist and then chop some dude's arm off. It ought to be interesting!

Tip of the day:

If you're going to redo something, make sure you don't have to fix another part, too. Avoid fixing it yet again!

No comments: