Today my ignorance is going to swallow me whole.
I decided to play with more fonts again, and switched the title and author name to "Budoni 72 Smallcaps". I kind of like the title like that, but I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to switch the author name into small caps. I'll think more about that later.
Anyhow, I exported it as a pdf, like I always do with the spread. But I noticed the colors were not as vibrant.
Here's what it looks like:
And I know nothing about different color spaces, but I suspected this was a CMYK vs RGB thing — so I changed the export to RGB and got this.
That's a huge difference.
Google tells me that RGB is used for on-screen images, and CMYK is used for printing devices and that it's hard to achieve the same brightness with ink on paper.
So I learned something new today. I don't think there's really much I can do about it, and I guess the CMYK is okay, but I suspect a real cover designer would have thought about this earlier in the process.