Wednesday, December 19, 2018

End of the Year

I know I'm not alone in feeling that this year has lasted about three decades. Even so, the race to the end of the month continues to be to be odd.

I think I've mentioned before that the company I work just laid off (okay, voluntarily separated) 10,000 people. At the same time, they doubled our goals for next year. The good news is that I ignore everything they say as a matter of course even during the good times. They're also shuffling all the executives around, and to that I say "Ha!" because I couldn't keep track of who was there before so it makes no difference to me. My ignorance is beating the system!

But anyway, a bunch of the people who are voluntarily separating have their last day next Friday, so this week has been a lot of holiday parties plus going away parties. Some of the parties have had alcohol.

As you can imagine, not much work has been getting done.

I've spent the last few days trying to get other people to fix things so I can complete tasks, but nearly everyone is on vacation or leaving at the end of the month or drinking themselves into a stupor because half their coworkers are leaving and the deadlines aren't changing. Meanwhile, my brother (who is voluntarily separating, that bastard) responds to my griping email by telling me that his biggest challenge of the day was finding a box big enough to mail his monitor back in.

Here's to the new year. May we still be able to duct tape the broken pieces back together.

(Pretend this is artistically lit & framed and not just another of my crappy photos.)

1 comment:

Mellie said...

This year did seem endless... one thing after another for us. I'm looking forward to a fresh start in 2019!!