Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Running Between the Raindrops

Here in Northern California, dog agility is an outdoor sport all year round. That isn't to say that it isn't occasionally a little uncomfortable.

Tonight it started sprinkling as we were on our way there, but it didn't really start steadily raining until class started. We persevered.

Fluffy little dog slightly wet from rain
Another ten hours in a downpour and the water might get to her skin. She still looks pathetic though.

The big dog thought all the running around in the chilly rain was a great idea, but he drew the line at actually lying down on anything wet. The little dog doesn't mind wet surfaces (probably because she has to be completely submerged before the water makes it through her undercoat to her skin), but she kept stopping in the middle of the course to shake the drops from her head.

My parka (jacket? coat?) repelled water 20+ years ago when I bought it, but now it just provides an extra layer for the water to seep through, so about halfway through class I was pretty much soaked. But I had two dogs to run and it wasn't all that cold out, so I was reasonably comfortable.

Large dog with wet hair
Wet, stoic, and stitches still intact!

All in all a good time was had by everyone, but at the end we were definitely ready to pack up and go home.

2 comments:

Route 8 said...

I could use an undercoat ‘this time of year. I admire you for not calling it a night after the first drops. Wet is not my favorite thing to be.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

We missed agility last week -- the dogs would have revolted if I'd tried to turn around to go home.