Friday, December 27, 2019

Pot Pie Day

Today was cooking and baking day (and also maybe possibly finishing up the calendar to give to my mom when the family celebrates Christmas tomorrow, but that would suggest that I procrastinate or something).

Even though everyone other than my mom decided to leave when they found out I was cooking, the autumn pot pie turned out well.

Autumn pot pie
Look at that flakey crust. Just look at it.

I had a teeny tiny problem with the #!%@$* pastry crust over the top -- it rolled out in clumps that I pieced together over the top. I have no idea what went wrong. Still, I would have had to cut vents in the crust if it had rolled out smoothly, so it probably wouldn't have looked much different. In any case, it tasted just fine.

I also made a couple loaves of stollen, and mostly deciphered the handwritten notes correctly.
Loaf of stollen, with candied fruit visible
Not a fruitcake. It still needs to be dusted with powdered sugar.

Someday maybe I'll learn to follow directions and turn into a decent baker.
Recipe for stollen with handwritten notes
No extra butter in the middle of the loaf.

But probably not.

1 comment:

Bev Sykes said...

Oh, I sympathize! I love pie crust and have, for most of my life, made a pretty good crust, but in the last 5 or so years I can't seem to make the kind of crust I have always made, using the same recipe! Very, very frustrating!