Tuesday, December 3, 2019

I Leave You Alone For Two Minutes...

Here was my day:

It started out well. I got up in time to make my 6am run. After two days of steady rain, the track (normally sand on packed dirt) was a bit soft (sand on mud) so my times were a little slower and I was ready to collapse about halfway through, but the big dog and I made it all the way.

We went home, I ate breakfast, and then let the big dog out for a couple of minutes. He does this thing where he bumps me with his nose because wants to go out, then a minute later he wants to come in, then twenty minutes later he bumps me with his nose to go out, and that repeats all day long. I don't have a dog door (because of the cats), so I spend half my life opening doors for him.

Anyhow, I let him back in, I took a shower, and then it was almost time for work. But I wanted to get the Roomba started, so I did a quick pickup of all the cat toys and cords that the Roomba likes to strangle itself with. And I noticed a blotch on the floor. So I grabbed a wet paper towel and cleaned it and realized it was dried blood. Then another bloody paw print, and another, and then some drops, and then pretty soon I decided I needed to go check on the big dog.

He had a cut over his carpus and though it wasn't bleeding any more, it was deep enough and long enough that it needed stitches. (Before you go assuming I'm a great pet parent -- if it had been on his flank I would have ignored it and let it heal on its own.)

So then I took him in for urgent care and -- this is the best thing about having a dog and not a child -- I left him there so they could fix him while I went back to work. When I picked him up in the afternoon he was pretty stoned, which I got a lot of amusement out of. Maybe not $400 of amusement, but close.

The drama queen wouldn't even look at his foot for hours.

Anyhow, we're home and we had to skip agility tonight which is the worst thing ever, and the whining has been pretty intense. Cheddar cheese did abate a lot of the agony though.

Now I just need to find the rest of the blood that has been sprinkled around the house...


3 comments:

LB said...

Life is so random. But it's best if one accepts it with good humor. And you seem to do that.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I try! Sometimes it might take a decade or two to find the funny side, but I usually get there eventually.

bozoette said...

That picture!