Friday, February 3, 2023

Webcomic Day 3: Ian

 Okay, we're back to hilariously bad.

Part 3: Ian



Things I learned today

  1. Apparently, the default look of the Genesis 8 male is "douche-bro". It's the hair and the shorts (which are really boxers because he doesn't come with pants). I was totally tempted to change his name from Ian to Chad, but I didn't.

  2. The F-stop on the camera does absolutely nothing. I thought I could get around the lighting problem that way, but no.

  3. Dangit, I'm going to have to actually light scenes.

  4. I changed something in the render settings and broke the render, so I reset everything and now we're back to renders that take two hours for a dinky little underlit scene. Probably I should write down the things I change so I know what to change back, but where's the fun in that? I did learn that you can cancel a render and save what it's come up with so far, which seems useful.

  5. Yes, Ian here is walking around without shoes because there aren't any. Well, there are, but they are high heels, and though it's tempting to use them, I just can't see it.

  6. For poses, I can either use one of the five bizarre options available, or I can move joints individually and create my own impossible stances.

  7. Ooh, I added a little vase thing. Set dressing!

  8. The "save" and "close" buttons on the render panel are in the opposite order I think they should be in, and twice now I've spent half an hour rendering something only to accidentally close the window instead of saving the file. Sigh.

  9. The "Tonemapper" F-stop does work. I changed that from 12 to 2 and suddenly the scene has more light. I should probably still figure out the three stage-lights thing.

  10. I tried to change the color of the dog and somehow it turned it sort of blue, or else it was just reflecting the light oddly. Oops. But I was able to go back to the preset surfaces so at least I was able to fix it.

Outtakes

The blue dog:



Today I also found out you can accidentally move the camera inside Chad's Ian's head and it was truly horrifying.


No comments: