Thursday, October 15, 2015

Maybe She'll Learn Basket Weaving At Camp

So it turns out that I can concentrate on work just fine through all the dust and various construction noises, slamming front door, that one contractor who at least a few times a day asks "Are you kidding me?" when he's trying to do something that isn't working out, and power outages to the kitchen because they keep forgetting that they can't run the saw and the air compressor on the same circuit at the same time. What I can't deal with is the little dog doing a short bark/howl at least once a minute for hours on end.

It wasn't a problem last week. When I talked to the site manager last Tuesday morning he said that on Monday she'd either quieted down quickly or he'd tuned out the noise. The rest of the week she would bark a bit in the morning when people came into the house, and then she was quiet the rest of the day.

This week... not so much.

On Tuesday when she kept barking I thought it was because she was wound up from being attacked during our walk earlier. (The big dog from down the street got out of his yard and attacked her as we were going in our gate. Ginger was fine -- her hair was wet from saliva but I couldn't find any punctures. I pulled her back out of the yard and slammed the gate, trapping the other dog inside, then I went down the street and pounded on their door hard enough that it opened and I not-very-calmly informed the guy that he needed to come get his dog and fix his fence. I didn't attack him. See, I showed restraint!) Anyhow, I gave her the benefit of the doubt on Tuesday.

Wednesday she kept barking, but since the contractors were gone for a large part of the day it didn't matter. Also, the work passed the rough inspection, so -- progress!

Today even the ridiculousness of having another inspection (to count the number of nails/screws fastening the drywall) one day after the previous inspection failed to make her tolerable. I put up with it for about three hours and then caved and took her to doggy daycare.

If they had doggy daycare at the gym, I might even exercise...

No comments: