My baby sister K-Poo turned thirty today, which makes me feel a bit old. Her friend Leslie threw a champagne brunch for her on Sunday in Oakland, so I drove to K-poo's apartment and we carried six bottles of champagne to Leslie's. Here's what I remember:
- K-poo's studio apartment is cute, but small. Really small. The two best points of the size are that she can't possibly accumulate a lot of stuff, and she could cook breakfast in bed for herself.
- The biggest drawbacks of the studio apartment are that she lives on the fourth floor and there is no elevator (which is fine unless you're carrying heavy stuff), and the crown molding stops about one inch from the ceiling. K-poo tried to feed me some line of crap about that being on purpose so you can hang picture hooks from the top of the molding since the walls are plaster, but that would drive me crazy. Just ask her. I spent twenty minutes complaining about it.
- The margarita glasses that I painted turned out well (I think) except for the one on which I tried to paint a J-24. Apparently representational art is not my strong point.
- In K-poo's email, she said that Leslie's apartment was "literally around the corner". Now I'm not arguing that it isn't within walking distance, even burdened with multiple bottles of champagne, but to get there you go out of her apartment, up the hill, around the corner, then down a street that changes names three times before you get to Leslie's apartment. Obviously we have failed to teach the meaning of "literally". I blame the California schools.
- Leslie's apartment is positively spacious compared to K-poo's, which is good since there were about ten people there. Naturally I'd never met any of them before, but I'm such a social butterfly that it didn't matter. No, actually, it was fine, they were all really nice, if young.
- As with every party, I eventually ended up slouching in a corner talking to the gay guys.
- On the way back I remembered why I hate driving into Oakland. Freeway on-ramps and off-ramps are never at the same spot, which means you need to look up how to get to a place, and also how to get home from the same place. I cut the same person off three different times in my quest to get onto the correct freeway since nothing is labeled well and last minute lane changes are the only way to avoid being completely lost. Oh well.
Anyhow, Happy Birthday K-poo!