Saturday, January 30, 2021

Neighbors

Things were a little stormy this week. I live in a town with a lot of big trees, so when the power flickered a few times at the start of the storm (winds > 35 mph), I expected to lose power for at least a bit overnight.

I did not expect to lose power for 36 hours. Then the power came back on in my area, and a few hours later I got a robocall from PG&E saying they knew about the outages and that it might be "several days" until power was restored.

Since I already had power, I laughed and said "oh, those poor bastards", at which point my power went out again.

Anyhow, I have power, and my internet is finally back. I don't think the temperature ever dropped below 45 F during the week, but it's hard to be motivated after 5pm when it's dark and chilly.

I had all my trees trimmed a couple of weeks ago, so I didn't have to pick up much other than some small redwood tree branches that came from my neighbor's tree. But the neighbor on the other side (A) and the people beyond them (B)...

If I didn't know better, I would assume there is witchcraft going on. A couple of years ago, one of A's trees dropped a limb on B's front fence. Then six months later, in the middle of a clear & still night, B's tree dropped a huge limb on A's driveway and demolished their car. This week, A's three-story spruce tree went down on B's pool house.

It's been going on for years. I can't imagine what their insurance premiums are. Plus, there was already some grumbling when B complained about A having chickens (hens, not roosters, and there's only six of them). Who complains about chickens?

Anyhow, it's five days later and I no longer hear the sound of chainsaws in the neighborhood. There are still areas downtown that don't have power, but I'm assuming they will be back up soon.

Coming Soon!

I'm planning on doing some photo manipulations for this year's Thingadailies, with the theme of "Space Kittens". I'm not sure if I'll have time every day, but anything that might give me more like this image is something to add to the list of things to do.


Two kittens looking through a hole in the floor at space


No comments: