Thursday, January 4, 2018

Time to Dust Off the Resume?

Remember back about a month ago when I said it would be funny if I took over the unused internal blog of our group at work and started posting things on it? The idea was that I would post something funny but at least marginally work-related and see how long it would take anyone to notice.

So today I had to explain to someone why the data wasn't what she was expecting. It's something that I'm sure is going to keep coming up, so I thought "hey, this is the perfect thing to write a blog post about". Then, when the next person asked me the question, I could just point them to the blog post. Great idea, right?

I wrote the entry, titled something along the lines of "Why these fields aren't correct" and in it I explained where the data was coming from, so if it wasn't right the person complaining could go fix it themself and stop bugging me. I think I may have even used the phrase "It's your fault". The snark level was probably about 7/10 -- a little high for corporate America, but not completely rude and I figured nobody would ever see it anyhow.

So I finished it and clicked on the "Publish" button and started working on something else.

About five minutes later I had to call my boss to ask him about something unrelated and he answered the phone laughing. "I'm not done reading it yet, but it's really funny."

Scooter is contemplating my life choices

Turns out that it sends mail to people when a new blog post is published. I thought maybe it was just going to the people in the region, but while I was on the phone I got a notification that someone from New York I'd never heard of had "liked" the post.

Anyhow, my boss told me that he wouldn't be the one to fire me over it. Then when we finished the conversation he said he'd see me on Monday assuming I still have a job by then.

2 comments:

Route 8 said...

Sounds like you found just what corporate America needs. Nicely done.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Thank you! I might be a little ahead of my time though. Only time will tell...