Sunday, May 17, 2015

I'm Totally a Princess of Power

So my parents are trying to get rid of everything in the house that they possibly can. One theory would be that they are just trying to declutter, but really I think they're just trying to make more space for a larger quilting setup. (My other theory involves them trying to remove all evidence of their children, but I'm pretty sure that's just the paranoia talking...)

Anyhow, among the precious treasures that they are trying to get rid of are these books which belonged to K-Poo. I think they're awesome.

I have to say that the women in this series might suffer from some anatomic... uh... wish fulfillment, but the men are just downright scary looking. They might even be prototypes for a Planet of the Apes revival.

And then there's the dialogue... "You are right, He-Man," Adora said. "Hordak is bad. The people are unhappy. How could I have been so wrong? I am as bad as Hordak."

(I didn't read the whole story, so I'm going to avoid a rant about how the woman apparently can't figure things out without a man to explain things to her... I really, really hope it isn't as bad as this page makes it sound.)

I know it's a kid's book, but that's the best dialogue they could come up with?


It turns out that there's a whole series of these things, and K-Poo had three of them.

Again, check out the male...

And again, the guy in the lower right corner...


And now for the fun extrapolation... Is K-Poo's inability to find the perfect man because she was exposed to these "humanoid" images as a child? Discuss.

13 comments:

jeff said...

K-Poo Weak Hands (to use her full name) is a strong confident woman. I wonder how your life would have changed had you had these books earlier in your life? Or mine for that matter!

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Too much pink -- I'd never have read them.

jeff said...

According to he-man.org (yes, that exists), the illustrators are Harry J. Quinn
and James Holloway. I'm guessing they were paid by the page or something.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

They were not paid by the realistic male visage, that's for sure...

jeff said...

Not only is there a he-man.org, there's a princessofpower.co.uk!

So I learned something at work today.

I can only imaging the web traffic log on our firewall today...

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I'm afraid to ask what you learned on those sites.

Is the princess site very pink?

Karen said...

I loved these books and will always love these books! I also loved the action figures. You could spin Double Trouble's head around. And Spirit could become a unicorn. So much fun. And still, Jo Jo would never play with them with me.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Jo Jo's loss. I think the action figures might be lost forever, but the books await you still.

Karen said...

well this is timely, fresh from the press:
http://io9.com/every-she-ra-princess-of-power-figure-ranked-1706814141?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I can't believe I forgot about Frosta.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I saw that -- clearly I am the bellwether!

I didn't really remember any of those action figures, but I'm glad you do.

jeff said...

Take a look at the picture of 'Bow' on k-poo's link.
I officially retract my derision of the comic book's artists. They really did look like that!

JJ said...

Did you never watch the cartoon? She-Ra was on after He-man. (I accidentally saw an old episode of He-man. Can't believe how much I loved that show when I was a kid.)

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

JJ, I might have watched an episode or two with K-poo Weak Hands, but that show didn't come out until I was too old to watch it. And since I had three older brothers, I don't think I ever got much of a chance to choose the channel anyway.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I would have been allowed to watch TV in the afternoons when I was K-poo's age. My parents totally got soft with their second set of kids.