Thursday, April 7, 2011

Zoom zoom

This time, as I continue my journey learning about responsible car ownership, I decided to try something new and replace the tires before I could feel the car bouncing around at higher speeds. (Did you know that often the tire will bulge out in a random spot as it gets worn down? It's true, and it's not like it didn't have any tread left.)

Since my usual method is to have the dealership change them when they call me up and tell me my tires are all about to blow out, I had to figure out where to go. There are at least four tire shops within three miles of my house. Who knew?

Naturally I was forced to make a decision about which tires to get. Despite my well-known cheapness, I bought the more expensive tires. Yeah, they're "performance" tires, which I guess might make a difference if I go a little too fast around a curve or get cut off by someone. More importantly, they're quieter than my old tires, so I don't have to crank the stereo up quite as high when I hit the freeway.

Of course, they're so much more quiet than the old tires that I found myself accidentally driving twenty miles per hour over the speed limit, wondering why my car was handling differently. Gusty crosswinds at 85 mph -- it's a good thing I had performance tires.

If anyone cares, they can go out and look at the tires and read the label (like Rvan did). Here is what I know: they have tread and they come in black.

Whatever.

3 comments:

JJ said...

I didn't know there was a better way of knowing when it's time to change tires than when the people doing the oil change tell you that your tires are going to explode any second.

Oh, hey, do you love not practicing vet med? Liz does. There are days when I wonder if I should do something else, but I'm not really trained to do anything else that pays a reasonable salary.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I've tried examining my tires myself, using some guide on the internet, but it always looks the same to me.

I have no regrets about leaving vet med. It was making me a crazy person.

I'm sure you could find a non-clinical position, but I don't know if it would take advantage of your specialty training. But hey, if you ever want to get into programming, I could probably find you a job... ;-)

Eric said...

I wonder if she would get an email account.