Sunday, January 30, 2011

In quest of a new series

So lately I've been watching a show called "Da Vinci's Inquest" about a Canadian coroner -- it's a bit like a Law & Order: Vancouver, only better.

(As a side note, one of my friends recently moved from California to Vancouver, and in trying to get everything sorted out has found that a significant percentage of Americans involved in customer service have no idea that Vancouver is in a foreign country. I can't say I'm surprised.)

Anyhow, you can tell that this is a Canadian show because hardly anybody gets shot, and one person was killed with a hockey stick. I have to admit that I'm still a little unclear on the concept of what exactly a coroner does in Canada, but I think I may also be unclear about what a coroner does in the U.S. aside from writing a book about Marilyn Monroe, so it's possible they do the same thing.

In the show Vancouver seems like a pretty nice place to live, although I've noticed that it always seems to be summer... almost like winter in Vancouver might not be fun to film outdoors.

The other thing I've found about the series is that all of the actors fall into that category of "hey, I've seen that guy in something". Hardly ever the lead, but usually enough of a part that I think about it for fifteen minutes until I finally realize that he was the short guy that kept jumping through wormholes on that other show for three episodes. It's a bit distracting.

So, yeah, if you're in search of a new police procedural to watch which doesn't have much in the way of police or procedure, it's a fine show.

Just watch out for those crazy Canadians and their hockey sticks.

No comments: