Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ho Ho Ho beta

So my pimp showed up at work today like he sometimes does, and it appears that after two years I might have memorized both his face and his name. (He's also one of the few people that wears a tie, and he always immediately launches into incredibly innocuous small talk, so there are a few other clues.) Anyhow, he apologized for not wearing a Santa hat, and I claimed that wouldn't have been very professional anyhow. This from someone wearing jeans and a t-shirt, even if I did avoid the bleach-stained shirt when dressing this morning.

After he left Eric and I were discussing whether, in fact, a Santa hat would be unprofessional attire, since professional attire is determined by the job. I reversed my position and agreed that it might be, since programmers are probably more like mall Santas than CEOs.

Here's my list (which I would check twice if I weren't too damn lazy)...

Programmers are like mall Santas because:
  • Boots are completely acceptable work wear.
  • Our job is to listen to your wish list and nod.
  • We nod while listening because we have absolutely no intention of delivering what you're asking for.
  • On the face of it we appear to be completely unemployable in any other profession.
There are probably more reasons, but we'll leave them for future enhancements. As Useless Eustace always said, it will be done in two weeks.

2 comments:

Eric said...

This from someone wearing jeans and a t-shirt, even if I did avoid the bleach-stained shirt when dressing this morning.

Shouldn't you be wearing a jacket and a wool skirt, then?

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Well, I have been bringing my red jacket to work lately. And the mall Santas don't wear wool or skirts.