Friday, December 24, 2010

The Ginger Swap

The little loaner dog is going to Camp Twin City while I'm gone, so Rvan came to Woodland to pick her up today. It was sort of like one of those shared custody arrangements, except this was on a Friday and didn't take place at McDonalds. Bert and Ernie came along for the ride.

Apparently Christmas Eve day is not the time to find an open restaurant in Woodland. One might think that since it's one of the biggest shopping days of the year the places downtown would at least be open for lunch, but we here in Woodland are beyond that sort of thing. After walking to the Thai place (closed), the Mexican place (in a former bank, also closed), and rejecting the saloon (nothing without meat on the menu), we ended up at the sushi place. The twins were very good natured about all the to-ing and fro-ing as we tried to find a restaurant, even when Rvan almost flipped the stroller getting back on the sidewalk.

The best part was the looks we got from people. Without Christina there, people naturally assume that I'm one of the parents. I get that. I'm still convinced that the "you break it, you bought it" rule might somehow apply to babies, so I carefully maintained a five foot buffer zone. It was still very funny that you could almost feel the positive thoughts beaming from everyone toward Rvan as he mixed formula and fed both babies at the same time. On the other hand, I was getting the tractor beam of condemnation coming from everyone as I sat eating and making faces on the other side of the table.

Anyhow, it's a little odd here without the little dog. I've already let the big dog outside and forgotten to let her back in for an hour because she didn't bark like Ginger does.

The little fluffy dog has her uses...

6 comments:

JJ said...

Poor deaf dog. At least it's not cold there.*

* Do not talk to me about California cold. It was in the single digits this morning. Anything above freezing is WARM!

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

The poor deaf dog got left out in the rain for a while on Sunday -- I got to my parents' house and she was in the backyard. My dad mentioned something about rain, but I assumed that it was sprinkling because, come on, this is Southern California. Nope, it was pouring. Her coat got pretty wet although I don't think it made it all the way to her skin...

Why do you live in a place that gets that cold again?

jeff said...

an entire week and nothing except an old dog story?

Happy New Year!

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I'm on vacation!

JJ said...

Because seasons are good, damnit!

OK, I love spring and fall here. Summer is bearable because it doesn't get too hot (shut up, Rich!) although it's a little humid. Winter is OK, but definitely not my favorite season.

I don't miss the fiery inferno that was Davis.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I grew up in Southern California, so for me, Davis does have seasons.

You can have the humidity.

I'm not sure I could live someplace where it snowed (and stayed on the ground). That's just... wrong.