Sunday, January 17, 2010

Let there be light!

Okay, I've finally ordered the LED upgrade for my nano-reef tank. Sadly, I couldn't just order something pre-installed, so it will involve wire cutting, thermal pasting, crimping, and other such nonsense that I haven't done in almost twenty years.

The good news is that I also ordered another hood for the tank, so I have some time to get this all working without worrying about a) starving the coral of light because I can't get it working and b) having one of the cats end up in the tank because the lid is off.

One might think that the cats would be smart enough not to jump on top of the aquarium when the top is not down. If one thinks that, one does not live with my cats. I had the top lifted, with the lights shining in my face as I pulled algae off the powerhead last week. Spike stared intently from the counter a few feet away. Just when I thought he was smarter than I'd previously thought, he tried to jump on the top of the tank.

I caught him when he only had one leg and part of his face in the water. It's probably just as well I don't have any fish in there...

2 comments:

A Free Man said...

I haven't done that kind of wiring since the glory days of the mish mash hi-fi system. These days it's all iPod docks for me, so no crimping and splicing required. Enjoy. ENjoy?

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I don't even know if I have all the necessary tools anymore, which is pretty sad since my original degree was in electrical engineering...

If it ever arrives, I may have to take photos of the assembly just to prove that I've done it.