Sunday, July 26, 2009

Everybody's Working for the Weekend

Things I accomplished this weekend:
  • Read three books on my new Kindle. Hmm. This purchase may have been a terrible idea if only because before it wasn't possible to have books magically delivered at two in the morning and I was forced to sleep. Now I have no motivation to ever leave the house.
  • Washed half the dishes in the sink. (Yeah, I'm really stretching for accomplishments here.)
  • Went grocery shopping.
  • Took a shower. (So I could go grocery shopping...)

Things I didn't accomplish this weekend that I had planned to:
  • Rip out the rest of the dead ivy in front of the house.
  • Buy a stand for the new saltwater aquarium.
  • Write a test program using extended gwt.
  • Archive stuff from the hard drive onto DVD. (Okay, this one isn't my fault -- I can't get the drive door to open.)
  • Wash the other half of the dishes in the sink.
Gosh, my life is so exciting sometimes I just can't stand it!

6 comments:

A Free Man said...

How do you feel about your Kindle. I've heard good and bad reviews. I also heard on a radio program that Amazon deleted some users files which I find more than a little creepy. Still intrigued though.

Eric said...

Is it just me, or does the "didn't get done" list contain all the exhausting, time consuming, and/or unpleasant tasks?

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

AFM: Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It really is about as easy to read as print on a page. Diagrams and pictures are not quite as good, but that's not a big problem for me. I think in order to get the claimed battery life I would need to turn off the wireless connection (which is easy to do).

The major cons are the initial cost, and the fact that the Kindle books are only a couple bucks cheaper than the print books.

I think the official story on the deleted user files was that Amazon found out that they were selling an illegal copy of "1984" (figures!). They did refund everyone's money. I think they also said that in the future they wouldn't just automatically something from the Kindle, but I'm not totally sure about that part.

It is kind of nice to be able to purchase books without contributing to the publishing industry's horrible resource wastefulness.

Eric: You noticed, hm? In my defense, it was over 100 degrees here, so I have some excuse...

JJ said...

Wow, your weekend sounds almost as exciting as ours. The difference? No blood. I got a scalp laceration when I didn't step away far enough from the car as I was closing the back of the Escape.

Rich is completely enamored with his Kindle. It was a pseudo-birthday gift in that I paid for half of it.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

JJ: Apparently the Escape is aptly named (ie, it's a command, similar to Dodge).

JJ said...

Dodge is more aptly named.