Sunday, December 8, 2013

So ornamental...

My friend Alan just posted this picture on Facebook:

[It reads: "Binary, red-black, fir, or B, this weight should balance any tree, And with this trinket comes for free, some really awful poetry!"]


(For the non-programming people: binary trees, red-black trees, and B-trees are all data structures that one can use to hold data. It's one of those things you learn in school and then get out into the real world and realize that all you need to know is that somebody smarter than you has spent a bunch of time writing a better algorithm than you will ever be able to come up with on your own, so you should really just use the standard library since it will be faster and have fewer bugs.)

As you can see, it's an amazing Christmas tree ornament shaped like a little weight, with some amazing poetry attached.

It's been over a decade since I made this and gave it to him, and I can honestly say that it remains the only computer-programmer-themed Christmas ornament I have ever seen. (I'm not saying that there aren't more out there, but I haven't seen them...)

See, I was all Christmas-y and stuff once in my life. So there.

No comments: