Sunday, November 3, 2013

"The world needs your novel"

So I've been super busy the last couple of weeks.

Okay, that's a lie. But I have been at least two standard deviations above the mean for my normal busy these last few months, so it should count for something.

I may be starting a new job this week, but I'll believe it when I actually get told to show up. The last I heard they hadn't yet completed the background check, and since I had to fill out the same damn job history three times (once on my resume, once on some pdf forms I had to send by email, and once on the contracting company's crappy website), the chances of at least one of those having the incorrect information is pretty high.

Of course, they could just look at what I've done in the last eighteen months which is exactly how long it's been since the same company ran the same background check on me (for the same client). That would probably save them some time. But what do I know?

And once again I had to take a drug test. And once again I had to retake the drug test because I drink too much water.

I think my next job (after this one if it ends up happening) will be with a small company. I am so over the big HR dimwittedness, it's not even funny. (Just as an example: I will be employed by one company, which is getting funneled through a second company, and actually doing the work for a third company. You cannot convince me that this is efficient...)

Anyhow, if it doesn't end up happening, that's fine, too, because...

November is NaNoWriMo!

Yes, it is National Novel Writing Month. The slogan on the website (http://www.nanowrimo.org) is "The world needs your novel". That slogan still makes me laugh because it's really not true and I know it, but I'm having fun anyway. The goal is to write 50,000 words by the end of November. It's day three and I'm slightly ahead of schedule, which is good because I haven't been working and have absolutely no excuses not to write.

Right, well, back to the salt mines. Have a good week...

4 comments:

jeff said...

You should build up a word cushion because thanksgiving will probably put a dent in the word average -- but might also provide some more material.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

No way, NaNoWriMo is going to be the perfect excuse for me to cut out early.

Wait, did I say that out loud?

jeff said...

Is it really any wonder Hemingway "kilt" himself?

You can get paid handsomely to write a few lines of bad code...

or you can write the next great novel for free!

Was Hemingway a cat lady?

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Wasn't Hemingway the one with all the cats? He probably killed himself because one of them peed on the cable box and he no longer had an internet connection.

My code is a work of art, every single line of it.

My novel, on the other hand... All I can really say is that it is currently 37,751 words. At least some of them have to be correct.