Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mamma Mia Suck-a

Okay, so I make fun of Jeff not being able to get out the door with everything he needs to ride home every day, and yet every time I feel like watching a movie I can't remember the name of any movie that I thought might be good to see. I watch fewer than ten movies a year, and I know more than that come out every year where I see the trailer and thing "Hm, maybe I'll watch that when it comes out on iTunes." However, my hash table is essentially one direction, so I can't get information when I want to get a list of movies that I had that thought for.

Anyhow, while browsing through stuff on iTunes yesterday I saw Mamma Mia, The Movie. I'm not a huge fan of musicals, but this movie had a cast full of people I've liked in other roles (Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth) and while it's a tad embarrassing to admit, I sort of like some ABBA songs.

Wow. That's the first time I've gotten through a movie with a run time of 1:48:36 in less than an hour. After about twenty minutes I started skipping forward to see if it got any better. It didn't. The actors all seemed vaguely ashamed. The scenery wasn't that great. Even the extras seemed to realize how bad this thing was.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not the target audience. Maybe it worked out better as a stage production. Maybe they should have made Colin Firth lose some weight and his shirt. Anything would have improved this clunker. I swear some of my friends have recommended this movie in the past.

This is why I watch bad action films instead. At least I know what I'm getting into before I waste two hours of my life.

No comments: