Thursday, December 3, 2015

Novel Poetry

The Sacramento NaNoWriMo region has a tradition of the Thank God It's Over (TGIO) party, a chance for anyone still alive to come together and celebrate the fact that you now have eleven months to catch up on sleep and maybe dial back the caffeine tolerance just a tad.

During the party everyone is given the chance to read a haiku or limerick about their novel. Most of them are pretty darn funny. This year I had planned to go to both the Sacramento and Yolo regions' TGIO parties, but it turns out that I may have to miss both of them and work instead (because football sucks and the 49ers suck and the Super Bowl sucks and I need a job where nobody is even allowed to mention sports and... [deep breaths]). What was I saying? Oh yes, I was saying that I might not make it to the party.

So, given that, I've decided to release my poetry about my 2015 NaNoWriMo novel to the world a little early. (And right now I'm laughing because I accidentally typed NoNoWriMo, which sounds like a completely different thing.)

Names, or writing while tired:
There once was a book about Chloe,
In some chapters also called Zoe,
But why have one name
When these two sound the same?
Consistency? Ha, you don't know me!

Sex:
So drama my book should not lack,
Two people end up in the sack,
My mom may not read
What I wrote in this screed
Despite the too-quick fade to black.

When the outline isn't quite enough:
Four thousand words still left to go
But the plot was all finished and so
My muse, she just sang,
Explosions went bang!
Michael Bay taught me well don't you know?



So there you have it. I was going to say that the novel is better than the poetry, but at this stage they're about equal...

2 comments:

Jenipurr said...

Those are fantastic!

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Not as good as yours from last year, but it will have to do!