Saturday, December 19, 2015

Just Speak English, Dammit!

So I was making this recipe (Sweet Potato and Lentil Pie) and everything seemed to be fairly normal aside from calling a sweet potato a kumara and describing the thing as a flan (which I've never heard used for anything other than dessert), but then I got to the last ingredient, which is
  • 1/2 cup cheese, tasty grated
Now... I don't know about you, but I think almost all cheese is pretty darn tasty. I mean, sure, you've got your nasty soft cheeses (brie and blue cheese, I'm looking at you!), but nobody cooks with those.  For cooking, though, there's a world of difference between something like Swiss and feta. (However, there's absolutely no difference between Gruy√®re and Swiss aside from price, and nobody can convince me otherwise...)

It was such an odd thing that I finally googled it and found out that "tasty" is what they call cheddar in Australia and New Zealand. That's just crazy. It's just begging for a "who's on first" type skit.

So there you go. Maybe you, too, are wiser at the end of this day.

No comments: