Saturday, December 19, 2015

Just Speak English, Dammit!

So I was making this recipe (Sweet Potato and Lentil Pie) and everything seemed to be fairly normal aside from calling a sweet potato a kumara and describing the thing as a flan (which I've never heard used for anything other than dessert), but then I got to the last ingredient, which is
  • 1/2 cup cheese, tasty grated
Now... I don't know about you, but I think almost all cheese is pretty darn tasty. I mean, sure, you've got your nasty soft cheeses (brie and blue cheese, I'm looking at you!), but nobody cooks with those.  For cooking, though, there's a world of difference between something like Swiss and feta. (However, there's absolutely no difference between Gruyère and Swiss aside from price, and nobody can convince me otherwise...)

It was such an odd thing that I finally googled it and found out that "tasty" is what they call cheddar in Australia and New Zealand. That's just crazy. It's just begging for a "who's on first" type skit.

So there you go. Maybe you, too, are wiser at the end of this day.

No comments: