Wednesday, December 16, 2015

It's Alive!

Good news! I am not dead in a ditch someplace, and zombies are not feasting on my corpse. The week three run synopsis lied. It was really one minute run - one minute walk cycles with a couple of longer "free-form runs" which means you can walk or run as you see fit. I see fit to walk a lot during those.

One of the hazards of running at night is the increased probability of tripping. The route I run is somewhat boring, but it means I don't have to cross any roads and for the most part the sidewalk is level and reasonably well-lighted. However, there are a couple of driveways and one handicap ramp that I have to be careful on. Also, the bottom of the handicap ramp is below gutter level and holds about two inches of cold water -- I found this out the last time it rained.

The nice thing about running at night, though, is that there is pretty much nobody out to see you doing strange things like running for fifteen seconds and then stopping to do heel lifts, or running for one minute and then jogging in place lifting your knees up as high as you can. And if you do trip and fall on your face (which I did a couple of years ago) you don't have to immediately jump up and pretend that nothing happened. Darkness means your dignity remains intact.

Anyhow, if you see someone running for short periods of time and doing strange exercises immediately afterward, it's probably safe to assume that they are listening to the "Zombies, Run!" app. If you're feeling particularly mean, sneak up behind them and moan like a zombie.

And then run away. Chances are good that you'll be able to run longer than they can...

2 comments:

JJ said...

I would heartily recommend a running headlamp. The Petzl brand is better than Black Diamond.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Hmm... That would let me spend more money on fitness without actually requiring me to do more. Perhaps I shall!