Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Four Cat Night

Well, yesterday's dying moose is actually dead. The repair guy said the gas valve isn't closing all the way, which means there's always something burning. He wasn't completely sure that was the entire problem, but my AC/heater is really old, they don't make the valves any more, and while he might be able to find a used one, that wouldn't fix all the other stuff wrong with it. Since everyone who has looked at the unit in the last five years has advised me to replace it as soon as possible, I decided to just get it over with. The new heater/AC is going to (maybe) be installed on Friday. He said they were even going to file a permit with the city, but that's only because they'll have to park a crane in front of the house so it's not like they can just sneak the whole thing in.

I told my neighbors about this and found out they had been trying to figure out where that sound was coming from. We had a good laugh. See -- my disintegrating house is bringing the neighborhood together!

Anyhow, because of the valve issue, the repair guy thought it wasn't safe to leave on, so now I have no heat.  If I lived somewhere it got really cold that might be a problem, but I think I can make it through the 53 degree low tonight without frostbite. I suspect it might be a four cat night.

4 comments:

JJ said...

Yeah. We found out we had to replace the furnace when it was 43F inside the house. I don't recommend it.

Mellie said...

Oh no, house repairs are no fun! At least after it's replaced, you won't have to worry about it going out again for a long, long time.
www.valeroni.com

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

JJ, I had factored in the weather here when I decided to hold off on replacing it until now. If I lived someplace where it would actually get really cold in the house if I didn't have heat for a couple of days, I would have scheduled it earlier. Living here really does make some things easier.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Melanie -- the list of things replaced in the last five years includes: roof, sewer line, water heater, garbage disposal, master bathroom, garage door, all the fences, and now the furnace/AC. In the next couple months will be the other bathroom, the galvanized pipes under the house, and the electrical panel.

At that point I think the only thing left will be the kitchen, and I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with that, but at least everything else should be good for a long, long time!