Friday, October 9, 2015

Day 5: I Really Can Complain About Anything

So my front door hasn't closed or opened easily for... oh, maybe a year or two, I'm not really sure. I guess at some point it sagged and wasn't lined up with the frame. I got used to lifting up on the knob and throwing my shoulder against it, so all that I really noticed was the shriek of metal on metal if I didn't lift it high enough. And I only noticed that if it was late at night.

It only took the contractors three days before that annoyed them enough that they stopped for a few minutes and fixed it.

And boy is it fixed. It's got a perfectly equal margin all the way along the frame. It closes like a dream, and when I open it there's no resistance so I have a hard time believing it was really closed in the first place.

The only problem, and I really hate to mention it, is that now it closes so easily that it can also be slammed really easily. Not the "I hate you so I'm storming out of the room and you'd better notice!" slam, but the "I just need to go grab some other tool from the truck and I'll let the door close behind me" slam. My house's construction being what it is, walking out the door and letting the door close behind you shakes the entire frame.

Yeah, today was spent: working...[slam]...working...[slam]...[slam]..working...[slam].

They need to stop randomly fixing things.

No comments: