Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Stollen and More

Today I made stollen with my sister K-poo Weak Hands (who, come to think of it, didn't do any of the kneading, so she missed her opportunity to work on her finger strength). I have no idea how the loaves taste, but they look right, so that's at least half the battle.

I also dropped by the grocery store to buy shampoo, conditioner, and soap. They have all of those things at the hotel, but... they've made some interesting choices.

Last time I was here they had those little bottles (which were annoying and wasteful), but I loved the shampoo and conditioner. I even tried to find the same thing elsewhere and failed. This time, they've replaced the little bottles with dispensers in the shower (which is a step forward), but the shampoo and conditioner are eucalyptus scented, so it feels like I'm rubbing Vicks VapoRub all over my head. The body wash says it is lemon sage -- I'm not sure if it's due to the camphor smell or what, but the soap smelled like rotting oranges.

As long as I'm complaining about the hotel, there's also the temperature issue. I like it cold in the room when I'm sleeping. It's 45 F outside, but it's a struggle to get the room under 71 F. The A/C only goes down to 68 F. I've got the window open the entire four inches that it will go, but it's still hot.

On the other hand, even if it is too warm there's a certain comfort level to be found with a nice mattress and a bed without multiple creatures kicking me and sitting on top of me all night long.

2 comments:

ARHuelsenbeck said...

I love Stollen! My German father was a baker, so Stollen and Pfeffernüsse were mandatory at Christmas, a tradition I've kept with my own family, though I've never baked them (Trader Joe's is my source).
I had to laugh about your remperature dilemma. Our house is 76 degress and I'm freezing. (I know--I'm I wuss. I live in Arizona for the hot summers.)

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I tried the Trader Joe's Stollen a few years ago and really didn't like it, but I wonder if it was because it wasn't what I was expecting. I suspect (like many traditional dishes) there are many different types of Stollen.

I have yet to try homemade Pfeffernüsse. Maybe next year?