Sunday, June 30, 2013

That's so hot!

I generally don't like to have the air conditioner on if at all possible because the constant noise annoys me (as do so many things...) and my electric bill can easily head into the high triple digits. But sometimes I see things like this and just give up:

(Click on the picture to see a larger version.)

These estimates  are probably a little conservative. When I passed the sign on my way to the Hollywood Market (with the "No more skinny?" owners) today, it read 111 degrees F. And that was after 5pm.

So yeah, I've had the air conditioner on for the past few days, and the dogs are more comfortable. The cats, of course, would prefer to be the little desert creatures that they are so Guido and Ripley have figured out how to go through the cat door to get to the screened-in cat porch where they sprawl in the sun on the concrete. I know Scooter wants to go out there as well, but apparently he's too stupid to figure out the cat door. This is a surprise to nobody.

Just so you know, the thrill of being able to open the garage door with just the click of a button has not yet worn off.

I'll leave you with this picture of Ripley in a box.


2 comments:

jeff said...

"high triple digits"? $900?

Hopefully the new roof will help.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Yeah, it could easily be that high if this heat wave lasts and the power doesn't go out. According to today's 5 day forecast, it's supposed to be above 115 for the rest of the week.

But yeah, hopefully the extra insulation on the back half of the house will help...