Sunday, August 24, 2014

Shake It Up, Baby!

So we had a somewhat strong earthquake last night, and even though it was centered a few counties away it was still big enough to wake me at 3:23AM which is not an easy feat.

I knew I wasn't just imagining things because the wind chimes hanging in my living room (what, isn't that where everyone hangs their wind chimes?) started chiming, and other wind chimes in the neighborhood also made sounds because other people hang theirs up outside.

After the first wave of facebook posts about how everyone felt it and nobody was hurt, newspapers started posting the standard articles about how animals sometimes act strangely before earthquakes which may be because they can sense p-waves or they have ESP or something like that. (I haven't actually read any of those articles in depth for reasons that will become obvious.)

The cats woke up and jumped off the bed about the same time I awoke, which was likely about halfway through the earthquake. The dog, on the other hand, slept through almost the entire thing, then finally woke up and ran out into the living room to bark at the wind chimes.

So... yeah, I'm not expecting any advance warning before the next one either...

No comments: