Sunday, December 22, 2019

Don't Tread on Ripley

Apparently seven days is long enough for me to forget that a 60 minute walk-to-run (multiple minutes of running interspersed with 30 seconds of walking) just feels like it lasts forever, because every Sunday I show up for the 8am walk-to-run, and today was no different.

What was different, though, was that it was raining outside. But I had a new treadmill (which did not need two people to put it together, thank you very much), so my Sunday morning proceeded as planned.

Other than the previously-mentioned fact that 60 minutes seems to last forever, the run went fine. I find it a little harder to run on the treadmill, so my times were a bit slow, but the walk-to-run is all about getting miles in, not speed.

While I was running, Mr. Ripley, the six million dollar kitty (announcer voice: We can make him... more expensive!), decided that he was going to walk across the front of the moving treadmill. That swept him right under me at 5 mph and dumped him off the back where he nonchalantly got up and wandered off. Meanwhile, I was trying to recover from my panicked scramble to keep from landing all my weight on him.

I got a great cardio workout today.

I'd like to believe that Ripley learned his lesson, and that he'll never do that particular move again, but I've known him for 16 years and I don't believe it.

Black cat in a striped onesie
Worth every penny, or maybe just an example of sunk cost fallacy.

3 comments:

bozoette said...

I'm glad you didn't land on Ripley and that neither of you got hurt. However, I did giggle a little.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Oh, it's funny -- now!

Sherck said...

If the run doesn't get your heart rate up, I guess the cat's death-defying adventures will!