Sunday, February 8, 2015

All the Latest News

I finally managed to turn in (and discuss) all three writing prompts in my writing group, which means that now I am eligible to have them critique something I care about. However, since we have discussed my work, and only my work, for the last three meetings, I think I'll try to give everyone a one-meeting break. Frankly I'm sick of me. I can't even imagine how everyone else feels.

(We did have The Great Semicolon Debate of 2015 at one meeting, though. I think it's fairly awesome that I know people that will argue about stuff like this. Weird, but awesome.)

Anyhow, the only other thing I really have to say is that there needs to be a better rating system for television shows. Forget the sex, violence, and swearing. Who really cares about that? No, I just want to know how depressing the show is going to be so I know whether I should watch it right before going to bed.

Here is my proposed rating system:

C - Cheerful. (C+ indicates that there is a smile and wink by the main character toward the camera in the last scene.)

D - Depressing. The show kills off a major (well-liked) character during the episode, or a minor (well-liked) character in the last scene.

DD - The dog dies. (I'm not the only one who feels the need to know this -- there's actually a web site that rates movies based solely on this criterion.)

Between Elementary and A Touch of Frost, I feel this rating system should be implemented immediately. I realize that there might be some pushback on these categories mostly because it will sound like people are talking about bra sizes, but people just need to get over it.

No comments: