Sunday, November 17, 2013

Write On!

Despite the obstacles cluttering my NaNoWriMo path, I am soldiering on...












I have thus far managed to meet or exceed my word goals every day, although I must admit I was almost delirious on Friday night so I'm not exactly sure what I wrote.

In other, less important news, I started my new job last week. Last time I was hired I couldn't get to my email for a day. This time it took over two days to set up my computer account. (Yes, they paid me money as a computer programmer for two days when I couldn't access a computer.)

And when they set up the account they spelled my name wrong.

One might think that fixing a misspelled name would be a simple thing, but the power of the mighty bureaucracy has spoken and apparently it will be easier to just legally change my name than to fix the spelling at this company. So far two different tickets have been opened with the two halves of the company that control the computers, and one ticket was closed and the other is in limbo.

Is it any wonder when my access card didn't open the door on my second day that I was just a little disappointed that I hadn't been fired overnight?

A fun quotation from the guy who wrote all of the existing software for this project, software that isn't being backed up anywhere: "It's amazing that we haven't had a problem in these three years." Yes, the guy who set up the system that would all go away in a puff of smoke if someone accidentally spills something on the computer finds it surprising that there hasn't been a disaster before now. I am in awe of this attitude.

On the days that I'm in the office, I sit in a cubicle bullpen with three other people although they are often not there. I know one person's name. The other two told me their names and I didn't understand them despite multiple attempts and nobody has a nameplate. (The third person doesn't know their names either.) So yeah, I spend most of the day with three really nice people, but I don't know what to call two of them. This probably doesn't bother me as much as it should, but I'm an engineer.

In other news, Microsoft is the devil.

No comments: