Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Unmaking


Well, my neighbors failed to take the bait, so I'm taking the couch apart, and it's actually pretty interesting.

I'd always assumed that couches were made of... well, I'd never actually thought about it, but I guess I was expecting something more expensive, or at least durable.

What I found was a thin layer of foam, another thin layer of stuffing, and then cardboard.



I'd also assumed that it was mass-produced in some way. But on the back of the cardboard it looked like hand-drawn schematics.



And then there were the calculations:



So I'm thinking now that it was a one-of-a-kind couch, an artisanal thing. Maybe I shouldn't have destroyed it. Maybe it was worth something.

But I still didn't want it in my living room.

2 comments:

jeff said...

Interesting. It survived my first marriage and umpteen of your animals. I can't remember where it was purchased.

I guess it will be easier to clean your living room w/o any furniture...

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

My living room is now like the warehouse that the main character from Flashdance lived in, except better.