Sunday, February 27, 2011

Working On My Fitness

Embarrassing admission of the day: I bought Ke$ha's album and I've been listening to it while working at home. Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

Anyhow, I've been thinking lately that maybe I should work on my upper body strength at some point. Usually I think about this while I'm lying in bed, or watching something on hulu.com. Obviously this need to get stronger hasn't interfered with my lifestyle at all.

I realized today, though, that I don't really need to join a gym or get a set of weights -- I just need to do more yardwork. I used the weedwhacker to knock back some of the weeds engulfing the yard, and an hour afterward I found that I couldn't actually lift my arms. It was an oddly dissociative experience -- my brain was thinking "lift" and nothing happened. And it wasn't like I was working for hours -- I have a rechargeable weed trimmer, so it only lasts for about twenty minutes (which is generally about as long as my attention span, so it works out).

The danger of doing yard work, especially out front, is that I have to come up with something to talk about when I see my neighbors. Luckily this week after Larry, my 65 year old neighbor, apologized for not cutting the other half of my lawn (because he ran out of gas, literally), we got to talk about the trenchless sewer line replacement. Sure, I spent thousands of dollars on a pipe in the ground, but at least we had something to talk about.

I think this may be why people renovate their houses...

2 comments:

JJ said...

The home renovation is a good topic of conversation. In some cases, MONTHS and MONTHS of conversation. About why it still. is. not. finished.

Not that I would know anything about that.

Gardening is hard work. I remember Marilyn(? - the other one of your former advisors?) was super buff, and her "exercise" was gardening.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Yeah, I'm not really ready for months and months of conversation. As much as I'd love to have a better kitchen (and possibly not have my washer and dryer in the kitchen) I am held back by all the horror stories.

If I'd met at least one person who wasn't tearing their hair out during a remodel, it might be different.