Thursday, February 17, 2011

Warm, mushy love

I managed to skate past Valentine's Day this year without contributing to the billions (seriously, the number is in the billions) of dollars that Americans spend on cheap crap on the made-up holiday.

I also managed to just skate past the last blog posting deadline. Oh well.

But today I am here to extol the virtues of the most amazing meal in the world. Yes, that's right, it's time to talk about cream of asparagus over toast.

After twenty-something years of living on my own, I've finally accepted that most people view this combination with a mixture of horror and superiority. To them, I say... well, this is a family blog, so I won't say it, but you know what I mean.

Toasted bread, with warm salty, fatty Campbell's Cream of Asparagus soup (made with half a can of milk, mind you) combine together to make the best comfort food ever. A little bit mushy as the soup soaks into the bread, but still chewy with the crusts of the toast maintaining their texture -- it's the perfect foul-weather food.

In fact, the only reason that more people don't eat this on a regular basis (as far as I can tell) is that is has become quite difficult to buy Campbell's Cream of Asparagus.

So if you happen to be in a different grocery store and you see some on the shelf, well, I know of at least six people who would envy you...

6 comments:

JJ said...

Cream of asparagus over toast actually sounds pretty good. What kind of toast?

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

I always use whole wheat toast, but that's just because that's the only bread I usually have at home.

johanna said...

My roommates used to comment that prisoners ate better food, but no matter. I love it. And yes, I too cannot find the stuff anywhere. Cream of broccoli just doesn't cut it.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

It's funny -- I read your comment and thought "Ugh, Cream of Broccoli on toast, that's gross!" I guess that's how everyone else feels about the best food in the universe.

jeff said...

I didn't think I could like a food this much if it wasn't a) meat, b) fried, and/or c) both.

But it's full of win.

Living with a Brit, I am one of the few that can stand on the higher moral ground and throw rocks at her glass house of baked-beans-on-toast.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

We had something else on toast growing up -- it wasn't baked beans though. Some sort of stewed meat? I'd ask you if you remember what it was, but that would just be mean...