Sunday, December 12, 2010

Let there be bags with candles!




Tonight is our neighborhood luminary night, when everyone is supposed to put out lunch bags with a little tea candle inside. There's also a food and coat drive, so it's a bit of a charity thing, but mostly it's a chance to make the neighborhood look pretty and give everyone an excuse to wander around in the evening.

It's also leaf-drop season here in Woodland, and the combination of candles and dry leaves does worry me a bit, but so far luminary night has not crossed over into Guy Fawkes territory.

One thing I found out this year is that my neighbor is actually worse than I am at organizing things. It's hard to believe, I know. She was in charge of organizing our five house block and I'm the only one she managed to talk to. If you go one street over, the luminaries stretch for almost a mile. They're a little better at organizing things over there apparently.


Anyhow, we wandered around, talked to a lot of people strolling with wine glasses, looked at a lot of Christmas lights, and generally had a good time. My neighbors did spend a significant amount of the time lamenting the fact that they don't have their decorations up yet. I figure the luminaries are a fine decoration by themselves and don't require me to get up on the roof, so it's all good.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Dry leaves? Hasn't it been raining every other day for weeks now?

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

It hadn't rained in at least a week at that point. But yeah, there are a few reasons why this isn't done in the middle of summer...