Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Things I've Carried

It's list time again...

Topic: Things I've purchased over the years without having a way to bring it home

  • A bird cage. When I got my "free" cockatiel about nine years ago, I needed to get a cage. So Eric and I took a trip to downtown Walnut Creek and I purchased a full-size cage which was one solid piece. Then we tried to fit it in the trunk of Eric's car. No go. Eventually we abandoned the car and pushed the cage home (~4 miles) on the bike trail. But hey, at least it had wheels.
  • A Christmas tree. While I was living in Germany I had no car. But it was Christmas, and I was downtown, and I decided my dorm room really needed this 4' live tree in a one gallon pot. That thing just got heavier and heavier as I lugged it the two miles home. People looked at me strangely. But it was only really painful when I was a few hundred yards from my dorm and realized there was a tree lot at the local market and they were selling the exact same trees. (The damned thing died in a couple weeks. Typical German ending.)
  • A ping pong table. Rvan and I took a trip to Sears to buy a ping pong table. It obviously wasn't going to fit in, or on, his Probe, so Jeff came with the Impala. He sailed up in front of the store entrance and we proceeded to tie the table onto the roof of the car. When the Sears employees saw what we were doing, they came out and made us sign a stupidity waver saying that we wouldn't sue them if something happened on the way home. It's somewhat embarrassing when people who are stuck working retail jobs think you're being stupid.
Now I just have to work on getting fourteen gallons of distilled water home...

2 comments:

A Free Man said...

Ah, yes. I could totally do this list. I've spent a good part of my adult life without a car. Have often relied on the kindness of strangers...

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Isn't it amazing what you eventually take for granted? I didn't get my license until I was 32, so I was forever doing things like strapping the cat in his carrier on to the rack of my bike. It turns out that most people don't do this...