Sunday, May 17, 2020

Keep Plodding

In April, a coworker started a Strava group for employees with the goal of walking or running 100 miles during the month. I figured that might be a good idea since I've really embraced the fine art of quarantine snacking. But then I found out there was a group leaderboard, and my competitive streak -- which is normally very well hidden -- came out, and that's how I made it to 168 miles last month. I've been in a death match with another woman (whom I don't think I've actually ever met) and I'm not saying I've climbed on the treadmill at 10pm to add a couple miles to take over the top spot for the week, but I'm also not saying I haven't.

This month (May, in case you've stopped keeping track), my goal is 200 miles, which I am well placed to hit. It's just over halfway through the month and I'm around 145 miles.

This is my secret weapon:

treadmill with board desk containing laptop and drink
That desk is kitchen flooring leftover from before I bought the house. Works great.

I can work on all the stuff that needs to happen to publish my novel, or waste time on Facebook, or even write a blog post, all while racking up two miles every hour. I'm a lot more productive than when I'm sitting down. If the treadmill didn't squeak, it would be even better, but noise cancelling headphones will take care of many problems.

I was feeling kind of tired and sore today and I thought maybe I was getting sick, and then I remembered I'd walked over thirteen miles yesterday.

But let's face it, the really important thing is that I am five miles ahead of the coworker I've never met. Victory is mine!

No comments: