Sunday, February 2, 2014

Excuses, excuses...

So I got out of bed this morning (with the five cats and one dog leaping around me) thinking "Hey, you know what sounds good? Waffles with crushed pineapple on top."

In my head this was a completely doable plan -- a little bit of flapjack mix (which only requires water), a can of crushed pineapple (which I always have), and the waffle iron that I bought at the Goodwill for $5 a decade ago.



After digging around for a bit I finally found the waffle iron in the back of the cabinet and I plugged it in to heat up while I mixed up the batter.

So... no flapjack mix to be found. Apparently I finished it off the last time I made pancakes. But that wasn't really a problem because for once I actually had all of the ingredients to make pancakes. I even had milk. A quick internet search and I was on my way. The only bad thing was that now I had four times as much batter as I needed, but it usually takes me a few waffles to figure out what the light on the top of the waffle iron means, so that wasn't really a problem. (My waffle iron has one of those orange crystal lights on the top of it that turns on when it is at a certain temperature. The only problem is that depending on what your viewing angle is, it can look like it is always on. Technology really has improved over the last twenty years.)

I finished stirring the batter and was halfway through spraying the almost-hot waffle iron when I realized that at some point since I had last used it (> 5 years ago), pantry moths had hatched in the crumbs of flour left in the crevices, and there were empty moth chrysalises attached to the a couple of the iron spikes.

So... no waffle iron. Apparently it was going to be a pancake morning instead. I got out the skillet, melted butter, and poured in some of the rather-thick batter. While it was cooking, I opened the cupboard to get the pineapples.

So... no pineapples. I always have crushed pineapple in my cupboard. I'm not sure what happened. Luckily I had syrup in the refrigerator, even though eating pancakes with syrup always makes me feel ill.

Anyhow, I ate my pancakes with syrup and then I felt ill and went back to bed.

 (Crow the cat is judging you.)

And that's why I got nothing done today.

No comments: