Sunday, May 23, 2010

Yet Another Reason To Love Woodland

Okay, so I saw an article in some business magazine this week titled "The Thirteen Housing Markets That Will Never Recover", which seems a little extreme. Sacramento (which is about ten minutes away) was listed. For that matter, so was Lansing, which suggests that my family does not understand the whole housing market thing, since that means that half of my parents' landowning children have bought houses in markets that will never recover.

Be that as it may, here's one of the things I love about Woodland:

Walking down Main Street Saturday night, I noticed a hand-written sign on Jim's Store. (I have to admit that I don't fully understand what Jim sells in his store -- there appears to be some luggage, and also those Three Wolves Howling At The Moon t-shirts, but I haven't found a unifying theme. On the other hand, Jim's store has been in Woodland longer than I have, so he must sell something.) The note was taped to the door and said:

"At a pow-wow in Marysville until Monday. If you have any questions, call ...." and then he had listed his cell phone number.

How great is that? It's not every place where people can just close up the shop for the weekend, tell everyone exactly where they are going, and leave their cell phone number just in case someone really needs something.

So yeah, I probably couldn't sell my house even if I wanted to, but that's okay with me.

5 comments:

jeff said...

Where else can I eat a burrito in a bank safe?

Eric said...

Call Jim and ask him if he'll buy your house.

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Jeff: Exactly! And you can see graffiti that's 100 years old in the opera house dressing rooms. (And graffiti that's even newer all over town...)

Eric: I don't want to bother Jim while he's at the pow-wow.

Michael from dadcation.com said...

we've been trying to sell since 2007 and have dropped the price $90k. still, no dice. it sucks!

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Muskrat, it's all good here as long as I don't need to sell, right? (And hey, what's a 130 mile a day commute...)

Maybe you should just add another story on your house (for the new kid's room and a man cave that won't flood) and stay there.