Thursday, July 16, 2009

Attack of the Illiterati (*)

Okay, so lately I've been reading the pet ads on craigslist. Not because I'm really ready to get a second dog at this point, or maybe ever, but it's a weird addiction.

As anyone who's read craigslist ads knows, there are apparently two kinds of people who can post:
1) People who complain about their ad being flagged, and
2) People who absolutely cannot spell. Occasionally they lack all rudimentary knowledge of punctuation as well.

I know a lot of well-educated people, and a significant number of them are terrible spellers. But it wasn't until I read craigslist that I understood the depth of the problem. **

So, to all the people on craigslist:

Im sorry yor add was flaged becuz your asking $400 for chiwawa puppys that dont have pappers.


You have no idea how much it hurt me to write that sentence...

-----------------------

* I fully realize that there is no possible way I could have made it through this post without unintentionally misspelling a word or using poor grammar. It's a given.


** Actually, that's not true. This is a conversation I overheard about eight years ago:

Office manager: "... and on top of that, she is the worst speller I've ever seen. We have a chart where she misspelled the presenting complaint of 'ate rat poison'."

Doctor: "Well, poison's not an easy word to spell."

Office manager: "No, she spelled rat with two ts."

6 comments:

jeff said...

Damn, you and rvan and schnemi, et al are really selling me on this 'pet stuff'.

I might as well send my money to nigeria -- he says he's a prince...

jeff said...

To the cookie lovers (you know who your are, at least by your wardrobe):http://www.amysedarisrocks.com/images/sesamest/3.jpg

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

Jeff, Cookie Monster is the pinnacle of American culture (or at least he was until they made him only eat one cookie at a time).

Also, I think maybe you and Jojo should stick to pet rocks for the foreseeable future.

A Free Man said...

As runner-up in the 1987 Florida State Spelling Bee, bad spelling just pisses me off.

A Free Man said...

Oh, and Ratt - like the 80's hair metal band?

Theresa B (of Nebulopathy) said...

FM: Way to hang on to childhood achievements! But I'm with you. Even when I try not to let poor spelling get to me, it does.

The hair band link was theorized at the time. Unfortunately, it's hard to test that with my knowledge of hair metal bands. Besides, that particular receptionist left soon after.